Saturday, May 17, 2014

Modern Medallion quilt

Wow. I can't tell you just how thrilled I am about my Modern Medallion quilt. I could not be prouder that I designed every detail and sewed every last stitch. And, what's even greater is that I have drafted a pattern so you can make your very own Modern Medallion too! Once the pattern is finalised, it will be available as a digital download from the Two Little Aussie Birds online shop (to start with!).
I have been planning this quilts for months and I finally took the plunge to actually make it. Through much trial and error, trials, frustrations, successes and perseverance I made it. I actually made it. I really need to make special mention of Jules. Whenever I doubted myself, she told me - You've got this. Her faith in me got me through. So Jules, thank you.
This Modern Medallion uses many modern techniques, including improvisation, wonky piecing and free hand curves. I combined some of my favourite blocks - starting with the new york beauty, flying geese, wavy curves, crosses and equilateral triangles, all with a modern makeover. Various bright colours and prints are set against a low volume background in this original design. This was my first time working with low volume prints and now I'm addicted!
I am really excited to be releasing the Modern Medallion quilt pattern later this month. It is currently being pattern tested and so far I am really enjoying seeing other quilts coming to life. I love the different colour combinations and style choices that others have made. I can't wait to see more!
As part of the pattern launch, I am running a blog tour/quilt along in June. I have some really exciting bloggers on board to share the journey. The quilt along will run for 6 weeks, starting in June. Each week will focus on the five main borders, with the last week all about the finished quilt. More details will follow but, it's going to really awesome!


Quilt Specifications:

Quilt name: Modern Medallion
Finished size: 63 x 63 inches
Fabrics used: Most fabrics are from my stash. Designers include Anna Maria Horner, Radisha Colman-Hale, Denyse Schmidt, Kaffe Fasset, Lizzy House and so so many more.
Pattern: Original pattern designed by me!
Quilting details: Free Motion Quilting with a light grey Gutermann cotton

Stay tuned for more coming very soon!



AmysCreativeSide.com

23 comments:

  1. I love your Medallion quilt!! Beautiful colours and fun fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I really enjoyed making it :)

      Delete
  2. Love it! Well done for making your own pattern and having the faith to believe in yourself (and having someone there who had faith for both of you when you stumbled).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very much looking forward to making my own during the hop! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wanted to make a medallion quilt for some time - I think this will be it!! I look forward to getting started in the quilting world.....and making this with a community :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By far my favorite Medallion quilt that I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a New York Beauty at the centre of a Medallion quilt! This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely - I have just been working on my first ever NYB blocks, love the look of them as centre block

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Saw this quilt at the Modern Quilt Show in Berry couple of weekends ago. It is great. My husband who, like them al,l rolls his eyes but wouldn't miss a show or stay out of a quilt shop, couldn't get over this. He had not seen wonky piecing before and kept saying it is 'just wrong!' LOL will convert him yet. Thanks for stretching his imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thank you! I'm so pleased that your husband (and you) took the time to check out my quilt! Wasn't the show great?

      Delete
  9. I just had to come over from IG--I love this quilt! I'll be looking for your pattern and QAL ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I would be delighted to have you join us :)

      Delete
  10. It's beautiful! I especially love the centre......a clever choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is beautiful! I especially love the centre....very clever choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this quilt...the colours, the design...so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never made a medalllion quilt... Mm makes me want to start one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I just love medallion quilts! Yours is so fun. Love the centerpiece especially!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have only just found your site! Wonderful quilt...I really like the centre block, and of course being able to use "the stash" is great! it creates a lovely overall scrappy feel! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's beautiful! I'm excited about the pattern and the sew along. I will be back!
    I'm visiting from kim's sewjo saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's gorgeous. I need to get back to working on my medallion quilt.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS