Monday, February 10, 2014

Butterfly Garden Quilt


This was the first quilt I ever started. I was flicking through some of mum's magazines one day and I saw this one. I loved it straight away and told her I wanted to make it. She gave me so many fabrics to get me started and I made a visit to the local quilt shop for the navy marble background and the light blender for the body. She also gave me a 60" triangle ruler and a Sew Easy quilters pack to get me started (rotary mat, rotary cutter, 6" ruler and a few other bits and pieces). I still use most of that stuff, and interestingly only just replaced the rotary blade in the original cutter! Mum thinks I'm crazy, but if it ain't broke, right? Anyway, back to the quilt.  I started this quilt in 2008. I cut all those pieces up and sewed and trimmed about a third and lost interest. I started other quilts, and I just couldn't bring myself to keep going. So, it sat in a box, unloved for years.

Last year, I decided that was crazy, so I dug it out and off I went. I think with a bit more experience under my belt, the timing was perfect. It was done in a few weeks! I took it to mums with me in July 2013 so I could quilt and bind it. Now it's done! I'm so glad I finished it, because I really love it. I use it as a pram quilt so it's always out. I actually have a lot of people tell me in the street that they love my 'blanket' which makes me happy. I don't even care that they call it a blanket.

So, thanks Mum for the fabric and equipment. This quilting thing is all your fault.



Quilt Specifications:
Quilt name: Butterfly garden
Finished size: 55 x 55 inches
Fabrics used: Most fabric are from my mum's stash, with a navy marble and light brown blender
Pattern: Based on Butterfly Delights by Jane MacDonald. Published in Down Under Quilts Issue 119, 2008
Quilting details: Simple wavy lines with a variagated cotton thread. I tried to make the lines come in at the wings to create movement

2 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous quilt and it was definitely worth finishing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Anorina! Isn't it funny how we loose interest in something, only to fall in love again!

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS