Saturday, January 25, 2014

Turning Point - Modern Quilt Guild Challenge Quilt

Last year, I joined the Canberra Modern Quilt Guild. I have really enjoyed finding a group of like minded quilters and turning some online friends into real life friends. As members of the Canberra chapter, we are also members of the International Modern Quilt Guild. This year, they held their third fabric challenge in partnership with Riley Blake Designs as the sponsor. We were provided with 6 different fat 1/8ths, with the guidelines that it must be anything quilted!
As soon as I saw the fabrics, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. Ever since I took Sarah Fielke's Craftsy Class - Big Techniques from Small Scraps I have been dying to make a dresden plate quilt. So I took this opportunity to make one! Using the provided fabrics and a few Riley Blakes I had in the stash I set to work. Making the dresden plate was pretty easy actually. I did run into trouble as my dresden wedge template wasn't big enough, however I just extended the length with some jatz cracker cardboard and it all worked out.
Once it was all sewn and ironed, it was pretty quick to hand stitch it together. If you follow me on instagram (@2littleausbirds) you probably saw a few progress shots? I just love the instagram community and speaking of it, did you take part in the #greataussiedestash? Oh, boy, wasn't that crazy! I sold a lot of bits and pieces, however, I probably bought a bit much! Oopsies...
Now, back to the quilt. I added the little circles afterwards, as I felt it needed something extra. I finished it off with some simple quilting, which I think looked pretty fab on the back too. I  popped that lovely black and white binding on to finish it off. I am pretty happy with the result and have even entered it in the Canberra Show for a bit of fun.

Well, what do you think? Have you tried anything new lately? I can't wait to get into my new 2014 projects with my lovely new to me Janome (thanks mum!).



Quilt Specifications:
Quilt name: Turning Point
Made for: Modern Quilt Guild Third Fabric Challenge
Finished size: 36 x 36 inches
Fabrics used: Riley Blake Basics (supplied by Riley Blake), chevrons and spots from the stash
Pattern: Based on Craftsy tutorial by Sarah Fielke
Quilting details: Straight line quilting with Aurifil variegated grey (from the Tula Pink pack)


6 comments:

  1. I love it! Making some dresdens are on my to do list for this year and see this makes me really really want to make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! You should definitely go for it! Sarah's class is on special atm (follow link in post) too!

      Delete
  2. This is so full of fun. A lovely effect and the quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! One day I will join a guild! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - you must visit one! Where are you? I bet there is one nearby...

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS