Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Girl on a cherry tree quilt


Last year I bought the book Little Stitches by Aneela Hoey, along with some lovely fabric from her line Sherbert Pips. From one layer cake and a few extra yardage, I have made two quilts. The first was for a friend undergoing cancer treatment (read about that here) and this is the second.


Using the embroidery pattern in the book for the girl on the cherry tree, I set to work stitching the cutest little girl, swinging from her cherry tree. I used some Sublime flosses, which I am really enjoying the feel of. It was a joy to make and I was so please to be able to give this to a great friend who welcomed her third child into the world last week. 



Quilt Specifications:

Finished size: 36 x 36 inches.
Fabrics used: Sherbert Pips by Aneela Hoey for Moda with pink and white homespun.
Pattern: There was no specific pattern, I made half square triangle blocks out of a layer cake (10 inch blocks) and arranged them in a border around the feature embroidery block. 
Embroidery details: I used Sublime Flosses and a mixture of backstitch, french knots and a filler stitch.
Quilting details: Quilted by myself with a walking foot, using a Gutermann cotton thread in white. I quilted in the ditch, extending out into the middle block for added interest to create a consistent, simple design.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Quilting labels


I am not very good at putting labels on quilts. As I often like to wait until the very last minute to finish them off (midnight binding sessions!), there just isn't the time. But everyone keeps telling me how important they are, so I finally designed some quilt labels. I had them printed by Spoonflower and I am pretty happy with how they turned out! I made a few different colour ways in some of my favourite blocks and different sizes. They add personalisation and only take a minute to stitch down. Win win.


How do you label your quilts?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The hungry hungry improv quilt



This quilt is my very first, but certainly not last improv quilt. After being inspired by the book Modern Quilting by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson, I knew that I had to make an improv quilt. I went to my stash and pulled everything out. Down the bottom of the pile was a bag full of scraps from the Hungry Hungry Caterpillar range, based on the illustrations by Eric Carle. Mum had given these to me ages ago, they were left over from a quilt she had made. As the fabric was already cut up into pieces, I didn't need to think too much about it. I just got my white homespun out and went for it!

The quilt top came together quickly, I had it finished in a night. The pieced backing was made with some leftovers and a matching yellow solid that I had in the stash. The binding might just be my favourite print from the line. I am really happy with the end result and I am looking forward to gifting it to a new mother who happens to love The Very Hungry Caterpillar book. Perfect!





Quilt Specifications:

Finished size: 34 x 40 inches.
Fabrics used: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle for Andover Fabrics, yellow bella solid and white homespun.
Pattern: Improvisational, based on techniques in Modern Quilting by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson. There was no specific planning done, I just sewed some pieces together and then laid it out until it all fit together.
Quilting details: Quilted by myself with a walking foot, with Gutermann Sulky Cotton 12 in colour 4013. I used an all over, angular design, which goes across the short side of the quilt.



Thursday, June 6, 2013

I made this: twins alphabet quilts


Last time I went out to my LQS, I saw the cutest alphabet sampler by Robert Kaufman and knew I had to have it. But what was I going to do with it? I thought just using the panel was, well, a bit boring! So, I set it aside for another time.

I must be hitting a certain age where everyone I know is pregnant! When a good friend told me she was pregnant with twins, I needed to get cracking to get two quilts more out of my little sewing factory. Searching through my stash, I came across the panel when I had a brainwave. I could cut it up and make two quilts which belonged together! Immediately I knew I was onto a winning idea and started cutting it up. 

There was no real method to putting this quilt together, I just pulled out fabric from the stash and sewed it to the panel pieces. Once I had three sides on each piece I popped it on my design wall (living room floor) and to my surprise, it almost fit together as it was! I love happy accidents like that. I finished up the quilt top within a few hours and finished it off in time for the baby shower.


I am really happy with how they turned out and I know they will be enjoyed by the little girls, who I can't wait to meet when they arrive!

Crystal x 

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS