Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The hungry hungry improv quilt



This quilt is my very first, but certainly not last improv quilt. After being inspired by the book Modern Quilting by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson, I knew that I had to make an improv quilt. I went to my stash and pulled everything out. Down the bottom of the pile was a bag full of scraps from the Hungry Hungry Caterpillar range, based on the illustrations by Eric Carle. Mum had given these to me ages ago, they were left over from a quilt she had made. As the fabric was already cut up into pieces, I didn't need to think too much about it. I just got my white homespun out and went for it!

The quilt top came together quickly, I had it finished in a night. The pieced backing was made with some leftovers and a matching yellow solid that I had in the stash. The binding might just be my favourite print from the line. I am really happy with the end result and I am looking forward to gifting it to a new mother who happens to love The Very Hungry Caterpillar book. Perfect!





Quilt Specifications:

Finished size: 34 x 40 inches.
Fabrics used: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle for Andover Fabrics, yellow bella solid and white homespun.
Pattern: Improvisational, based on techniques in Modern Quilting by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson. There was no specific planning done, I just sewed some pieces together and then laid it out until it all fit together.
Quilting details: Quilted by myself with a walking foot, with Gutermann Sulky Cotton 12 in colour 4013. I used an all over, angular design, which goes across the short side of the quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS