Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Girl on a cherry tree quilt


Last year I bought the book Little Stitches by Aneela Hoey, along with some lovely fabric from her line Sherbert Pips. From one layer cake and a few extra yardage, I have made two quilts. The first was for a friend undergoing cancer treatment (read about that here) and this is the second.


Using the embroidery pattern in the book for the girl on the cherry tree, I set to work stitching the cutest little girl, swinging from her cherry tree. I used some Sublime flosses, which I am really enjoying the feel of. It was a joy to make and I was so please to be able to give this to a great friend who welcomed her third child into the world last week. 



Quilt Specifications:

Finished size: 36 x 36 inches.
Fabrics used: Sherbert Pips by Aneela Hoey for Moda with pink and white homespun.
Pattern: There was no specific pattern, I made half square triangle blocks out of a layer cake (10 inch blocks) and arranged them in a border around the feature embroidery block. 
Embroidery details: I used Sublime Flosses and a mixture of backstitch, french knots and a filler stitch.
Quilting details: Quilted by myself with a walking foot, using a Gutermann cotton thread in white. I quilted in the ditch, extending out into the middle block for added interest to create a consistent, simple design.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS