Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cambodian adventure: Here I come!


So I have been a bit flat out lately, have working like mad and been getting ready for my trip to Cambodia! For those of you who don't know, I am heading off to Cambodia tomorrow. A group of people, including my dad (the fearless leader), mum and others (10 all up) are on a mission from God.

We are buidling a house (and a half) with Habitat for Humanity, where they do a lot of amazing work for families and the communities in Cambodia and around the world. See, the Government decided to close down the Phnom Penh tip where many families made a living of scavenging through the rubbish. And, they lived there too. You heard right, they lived at. the. tip. So, what's worse than living and working at the tip? Having no home or a way to make a living. That's where Habitat for Humanity comes in. Working with the communities they give a hand up, not a hand out.
So, how does it work?
*Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside our homeowner (partner) families.
*Habitat is not a giveaway program. In addition to a down payment and monthly mortgage payments, homeowners invest hundreds of hours of their own labor (sweat equity) into building their Habitat house and the houses of others.
*Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable loans.
*The homeowners’ monthly mortgage payments are used to build still more Habitat houses.
So, off I go, into a brave new world, culture and way of life. I can't wait to see what will meet me there. I will be sure to post on my Cambodian adventure and show you all the photos I take.
Thanks to Creative Abundance, Universal Magazines, Sportsmans Warehouse and my generous friends, family and workmates for donating their hard earned coin to get me on the plane.
Crystal x
Inspired by the story? Donate to Habitat for Humanity here. Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS